History of Oxhill
www.oxhill.com / www.oxhill.org.uk
South Warwickshire, England.
Methodist Church in Oxhill
For over 200 years Methodism has played an important part in Oxhill life,
from the first meeting which was held at Oxhill House the home of John
Ward, in 1769, at which the preacher was Rev. John
a leading Wesleyan later to become Conference President.
The movement in Oxhill was founded
by William Geden, a tailor from Tysoe, where there was already a similar
small Society. For thirty
years, (and latterly when he was over seventy) Mr. Geden walked, stout
stick in one hand, lantern in the other, across the open fields to Oxhill to hold
Sunday evening services and again to a class meeting during the week.
The Ward family of Oxhill House, where the meetings were first held, were
affluent farmers - they
seemed to own half the village and several of the larger houses!
were devout Methodists, and
great benefactors to the movement in Oxhill.
In 1814 John Ward donated the land for a chapel,
was built at a cost of £287.19s.2½d. The congregation grew, and in 1839
the building was enlarged, and a gallery added.
1877 there were said to be "100 regular hearers”, but the chapel
building itself was becoming dilapidated, and there were complaints of damp and
draughts. In 1878 considerable
improvements took place, the gallery was removed, and a transept added,
together with a schoolroom for the flourishing
School. At the reopening
services there were six preachers!
Chapel Centenary in 1914 was marked with special services held over two
days, when the congregations were large.
In 1989 the 175th anniversary was also celebrated, but by now the
regular congregation was dwindling. Mr.
Harold Law, to whose research in the 1980s I am indebted, noted that the
village had changed, its population was lower than in the 1880s, and few
of the old families, whose parents and grandparents had connections with
Oxhill Chapel, now remained. Rev
Dr. David F. Clarke, Superintendent
of the Kineton Circuit writing in 1990, commented that nevertheless, in
the years between John Pawson's visit to Oxhill in 1769 and that of a
later Conference President in the 1980s, "Methodism has done a great
thing nationally; and it is as well to remember that the national effect
is only a product of the witness of the Oxhills of this life" .
The Kineton Methodist Circuit agreed to the closure of Oxhill Methodist Church at the end of June, 2003.
This site is maintained by villagers of Oxhill for the benefit of the community and those interested in the history, news and activities that make the village such a pleasant place to live.
Send mail to email@example.com with questions or comments about this web site.
©2003 Oxhill Village (Terms and Conditions of use)
Last modified: May 31, 2003